The next pattern being released from my Toy Story series is Mr Potatohead.
I had a lot of fun making this pattern. What I loved the most about it is that it’s one of the quickest and least complicated patterns that I have done in a while. Also, I can easily convert it into Mrs Potatohead by just making a few little tweaks and changes. Anything that saves me time these days is an added bonus.
In regards to the pattern, the overall design is very simple with the most complicated part for me being the feet. I still would like to tweak it at some stage and improve the shape, but until then, the current design still works and looks good. I wired his arms because I like the manoeuvrability and feel like it gives my Mr Potatohead more life.
As always, I incorporated my love for mixed media and completed the eyes and mouth with felt. This can also be crocheted if you want the whole project to be crocheted or you can even needlefelt to give the mouth and eyes some dimension – the choice is yours. I would have loved to needle felt it but I chose the felt method to save time. However, I do plan on needle felting my second Mr Potatohead’s facial features.
Overall, if using DK yarn and a 2.5mm hook, Mr Potatohead stands at 6.5 inches tall and 4.5 inches wide from ear to ear (9.5 inches with the arms extended).
- DK yarn (beige/camel, white, black, blue, pink and orange)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Fire retardant Fibrefill
- Black, white, red and beige/camel felt (for the eyes and mouth)
- Craft wire
- Felt glue
- Pins (optional)
- Stitch marker (optional)
- MR# – magic ring with the specified number of single crochets
- SC – single crochet (double crochet English)
- HDC – half double crochet (half treble English)
- INC – single crochet increase
- #in1 – the specified number of SC in the same stitch (i.e. 3in1)
- DEC – invisible decrease
- 2TOG – two stitches together decrease (non-invisible) method
- *_______* X# – repeat sequence within the asterisks the specified number of times e.g. *SC, INC* x6)
- FLO – front loop only
- BLO – back loop only
- CH – chain stitches
- CH1T – chain a stitch then turn your work
- SS – slip stitch
- ST/STS – stitch/stitches
- OFFSET – a term I use when adding or taking away additional stitches in order to line up or get the right placement
- FO – fasten off
I hope that your Mr Potatohead turned out looking amazing and you are happy with the outcome. If you are stuck or need any assistance I am here to help.
Next month’s Toy Story pattern release will be Buzz Lightyear! I cannot wait to show you what I’ve made!
Until the next post, happy crocheting!